PDC + unix password sync

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Tue May 18 16:08:49 GMT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Alexander Dubielczyk wrote:

> I tried to setup a PDC based on Samba 2.0.3 and a Suse 6.0
> distribution in the last days. Everything seems to work great, but i
> have some trouble with the 'unix password sync' option in the
> smb.conf. I set this option to 'Yes', but it does not seem to have
> any effect. :-(
> Perhaps the only problem is that i do not understand the right way
> this option should work. I added a user via smbpasswd and he gets
> access to the domain, but if i change the password on the unix
> shell for this user, the domain password stays the old one.

It only works the other way round: If "unix password sync" is set up, it
means that changing the password via smbpasswd or NT-Change-Password
dialog changes the unix password, too. To do this, samba (the daemon) has
to run passwd to change the unix password for the user prior to changing
the samba password to keep them in sync.

For more information, look at the help for "unix password sync".

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Bunt ist das Dasein und granatenstark. Und: Volle Kanne, Hoschis!
                         aus: "Bill und Teds verrückte Reise durch die Zeit"