Trouble w/ UNC

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Fri May 14 16:09:32 GMT 1999

You have a couple of options:

1.) Set the samba share to guest only=yes. This will be a significant
security hole, unless you also use a hosts allow = line to limit which
machines can use the share. Then samba will skip authentication.

2.) Authenticate using encrypted passwords in samba (either PDC or not),
and insure that the account login on the NT machine is correctly set up on
the samba side. If the passwords match correctly, there will be no
prompting.

(In general, you'll find the comp.protocols.smb list more fruitful
than this one, which generally deals with NT Domain support in samba.)

Good luck-
Andy

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199