MACS

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Sat May 8 15:14:22 GMT 1999

> >1) You could probably hack netatalk to pass authentication to samba.
> >
> >2) Use macintosh services for NT (available with NT Server... I
> >don't know if it's included with any of the bundles or if its an
> >extra-cost option).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe SAMBA supports
> AppleShare in the say MacOS Services for NT does.  From my
> experience, the service allows you to create an additional share on
> an NT box, that shares to an Appleshare network.  Since Macs have a
> different scheme for setting share permissions, NT just creates a
> whole new share.  I don't remember exact issues, but I know it was a
> nightmare and getting DAVE was a much better solution.

Netatalk is more or less samba for Macs (using appletalk). I have several
servers using netatalk and samba on the same machine serving the same
shares and it works very well.  Since netatalk uses PAM, We installed the
"pam_smb" pam module so all mac users are authenticated against the
primary samba server(password server).

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology