How can there be 2 workgroups?

bwood at parasolsystems.com bwood at parasolsystems.com
Wed May 5 16:50:19 GMT 1999

Greetings,

I have a NT Box and a windows workgroup set up (not everyone will log into
the Windows NT domain, but presently noone is).  The NT Box name is Domino1
and the NT Domain name is Dartech.  The Workgroup name is WORKGROUP and all
our clients are set up accordingly.

The problem comes about when I run "smbclient -L <PC Name>" ..I notice that
Samba is seeing 2 different workgroups, both named WORKGROUP.   Here is the
output of running smbclient -L for 3 PCs and the Samba Server (which is AIX
4.1.4):

PC "Candace" - Does Not see Samba Server:

Added interface ip=209.119.14.112 bcast=209.119.14.127
nmask=255.255.255.224
Server time is Wed May  5 12:10:06 1999
Timezone is UTC-4.0
security=share

Server=[CANDACE] User=[] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        CANDACESHARE   Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        TEST           Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

-------
PC "Walt" (Sees Samba Server):

Added interface ip=209.119.14.112 bcast=209.119.14.127
nmask=255.255.255.224
Server time is Wed May  5 12:09:06 1999
Timezone is UTC-4.0
security=share

Server=[WALT] User=[] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        WALTSHARED     Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

-------

PC "Tim" - does not see Samba Server:

Added interface ip=209.119.14.112 bcast=209.119.14.127
nmask=255.255.255.224
Server time is Wed May  5 12:12:10 1999
Timezone is UTC-4.0
security=share

Server=[TIM] User=[] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        TIMSHARED      Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

This machine has a browse list:

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        BRENDA               Brenda Cerha
        CANDACE              Candace
        GLORIA               Gloria Admire
        LYDIA                Lydia Stevenson
        TED                  Ted Pawlak
        TIM                  Tim Slomka
        TOMK                 Tom Kramer

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            TIM

---------

Samba Server (named "SAMBA"):

Added interface ip=209.119.14.112 bcast=209.119.14.127
nmask=255.255.255.224
Got a positive name query response from 209.119.14.112 ( 209.119.14.112 )
Server time is Wed May  5 12:03:53 1999
Timezone is UTC-4.0
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18p8]
security=share

Server=[SAMBA] User=[root] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        lps            Printer
        p10s           Printer
        p1s            Printer
        p2s            Printer
        p3s            Printer
        p4s            Printer
        p8s            Printer
        p9s            Printer
        PcDisk         Disk      PcDisk
        printers       Printer   All Printers
        root           Disk      Home Directories
        Scan           Disk      Image/Scan Dir
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space
        Xfer           Disk      Notes Xfer Dir

This machine has a browse list:

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SAMBA                Samba Server
        WALT                 Walt Walburn

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        DARTECH              DOMINO1
        WORKGROUP            SAMBA

----

Sorry to post to the group with a question like this, but I am at a loss
here.  Searching the mail archives for
"Muliple Workgroups" brings up 1000's of non related posts... that avenue
proved not too good.

Any help would be VERY appretiated!

Thanks,
Brendan