Usefull tips regarding large roaming profile ?

Inge-Haavard Hunstad inge at cc.uit.no
Wed May 5 14:08:53 GMT 1999

Dejan Ilic wrote:

> This should be a useful and clean solution to all people that complain
> about long download of huge roaming profile. Can someone add this to a FAQ?

Is there a way to disable use of profiles at all i NT or samba?

We are using samba cvs ver dated march 15. as PDC and samba ver 2.0.3 as
file server. Teoreticaly we are going to have 6000 users of 60 computers
running NT4sp3. Roaming profiles in the home dir is not an alternative
because of NTDOMFAQ Q4.1.1. Having a local profile is not very good
either because then the profiles are wasting diskspace on 60 machines
instead of one. In the future we are going to include more labs with
computers that we don't control in our domain. Difference in software
and hardware config is then going to corrupt the profile so our solution
now is to delete the profile after beeing uploaded to the server.

Thanks in advance for any solution that can help me solve my profiles
problems.

Keep up the good work:-)

Inge