samba PDC config problems?

Mr. Alex Stepney a.stepney at ion.ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 4 12:59:20 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I'm quite new to samba and have just purchased for our dept. several
NT 4.0 machines. I have been playing around with smb.conf and have run
into a few problems. What I have tried to do is have one smb.conf for
my UNIX domain master, passwd and WINS server and a second config file
for all other uses boxes. Global definitions are the same in both
files, e.g.

    domain logons = yes
    logon script = %U.bat
    allow hosts = @pcs, at suns
    workgroup = IONNMR
    encrypt passwords = yes

Then for master server (io), the following:

    domain master = yes
    wins support = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    security = user

And for all others:

    domain master = no
    wins support = no
    local master = no
    wins server = io
    password server = io
    security = server

The UNIX machines are all happily talking to each other and I can get
a welcome to the domain IONNMR from the NT box, but after a reboot and
I try to log on I get the message "The system cannot log you on because
the domain IONNMR is not available". I have enabled my smb password and
if I log onto the NT machine as Administrator I can view the local network
and can map drives with my username and password. Any help would be
greatly appreciated as I seen to be going roung in circle at the moment.

Many thanks

Alex.

Mr A.Stepney BSc, Systems Administrator

Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK.

phone : +44 (0) 171 837 3611 Ext. 4268
fax   : +44 (0) 171 278 5616
pager : +44 (0) 4325 623722

email : a.stepney at ion.ucl.ac.uk