NT Domain AND cleartext passwords on same server

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Mar 26 20:15:04 GMT 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Greg Dickie wrote:

> OK so I'm, stupid but how would you do it?

ok, i'm trying not to type too much as you know, so i was hoping you'd
guess.

/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf:
include=/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m

/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.NETBIOSNAME:
[global]
blah blah
netbios aliases = NETBIOSALIAS1

encrypt passwords = yes
blah blah

/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.NETBIOSALIAS1:
[global]
netbios name = NETBIOSALIAS1
blah blah

encrypt passwords = no

etc.

apart from this you must treat them as totally separate systems.

> Greg
>
> On 26-Mar-99 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Greg Dickie wrote:
> >

> >> How would you do this? If you use %m (machine) then that macro would be
> >> the same whether the machine OR the user on the machine is logging i,n no?
> >
> > username is irrelevant.
> >
> >> As far as the dual personalities, would not both personalities need to be
> >> PDCs?
> >
> > no.
> >
> >> And wouldn't WINS prevent that?
> >
> > no.
> >
> >> Or am I misunderstanding aliases?
> >
> > yes.

> Greg Dickie
> Just A Guy*
> *from discreet (no more logic)
> Montreal
> (514) 954-7171
> greg at discreet.com

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99