MACHINE.SID changes from 2.0.0 to 2.0.3

Dominik Epple dominik at cip.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Mar 25 16:32:58 GMT 1999

In the mail arhive Michael.Keightley wrote:

> I'm running 2.0.0 just now. Compiled and installed 2.0.3. When I restarted
> samba private/MACHINE.SID changed which meant I would need to get all 40 PCs to
> rejoin the domain.
>
> Luckily I kept a copy of my 2.0.0 files. Is this a feature or a bug? Is
> there anyway to stop it changing the SID?
>
> Michael
> [....]

We also tried to use the old MACHINE.SID file (from 2.0.0) with 2.0.3.
This does not help us however. Every time samba is started it seems to
change the old MACHINE.SID file. There seems to be no way to upgrade
from 2.0.0 to 2.0.3 without touching all 27 clients.

Any hint how to avoid touching the clients is very welcome.

Dominik & Matthias