machine account

Matthew Kirkwood weejock at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 15:32:28 GMT 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > I joined my workstation like "smbpasswd -a -m workstation_name" and I
> > can switch to samba domain.  If I want to switch a second time to samba
> > domain I have to do "smbpasswd -a -m workstation_name" again.

I saw this at various times (though I haven't played with HEAD for a
while).

> > If I try to switch to samba domain with administrator/password, I get
> > a message that I haven't enougth privileges. Is it a fault or not
> > supported (samba 2.1.0).
>
> what a TOTAL waste of time.  you're NOT going to believe this, but when
> you decode the password from when you type in admin/password, it's the
> workstation name in lower case.

Maybe I parsed that wrong, but are you saying that when you add a domain
account (machine account, whatever) from a client machine, it can't verify
that you entered a correct admin password?

Or at least that this check isn't done on the server end?

Matthew.