question about stability/scalability...

Josh Duncan duncan at msmd.org
Tue Mar 23 21:35:26 GMT 1999

Hello all,

My computer science department at my univ. is currently using samba as our
primary file server, as well as pdc.  We are using a 2.0.x release of
samba, but want to move to the head code(2.1beta?) to get support for
domain user lists(acls) and the like.

However, we do not want, nor can we afford, to jump in blindly with the
head code.

My question is this:
I know that people are currently using all these features in samba.  How
stable is it? That is, how well does your samba server handle the auth
requests, etc etc before(if) it dies?  Is this something that you would
recommend, or have done, to implement it on a site with approx 150-250
workstations, and anywhere between 500-1000+ user accounts?

We know that all this can be done, because we are already authenticating
these users, with file services, but we are wondering if the access
control code is stable enough for prime-time use.(functionality we now
use: authenticate user, connect to shares.  functionality we want:
authenticate user, with proper privs/rights/policies on the local machine,
and connect shares)

I realize I may not have put together the clearest email here(this nt crap
confooses the heck outa me.)  If i sound like I am talking gobbledy gook,
please let me know and I will try to enumerate better our needs.

If what I said made some semblance of sense, could you please let me know
your experiences with the stability of the head code with respect to what
we want to do?

thanks in advance for any advice on our situation,
Josh

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:50:28 +1100
> From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
> Subject: Re: rpcclient
>
> ok, committed a change which should allow rpcclient to read an unlimited
> number of users.  groups and aliases are still limited to MAX_SAM_ENTRIES,
> which  is hard-coded to 250 right now.
>
> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > i'm doing malloc'd array right now.

> > > Why not use a linked list?
> > >
> > > Dave J. Andruczyk
> > > Instructional Support Associate
> > > Department of Technology
> > > Buffalo State College

> > =====================================================================
> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
> > Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
> > Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477
> >
> > http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
> >      ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99
> > =====================================================================

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
> Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
> Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477
>
> http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
>      ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99

    There is never any peace for those who resist God.
                               ... Francois Fenelon (1651-1715)

Josh Duncan
duncan at msmd.org
http://www.msmd.org/