Weirdness: MS Access Files on Samba NT Dom

Jamie ffolliott jmeff at engsoc.queensu.ca
Thu Mar 18 05:12:45 GMT 1999

I've noticed this problem has been around in 2.1prealpha since January '99,
the 1st time we upgraded from 2.0, so it must have been introduced at some
time in the main branch.  I've been waiting for the "merge from hell" from
Jeremy to see if that contains a fix.

Also noted other preculiarities:
Some programs like Photoshop and Excel may give you an error when opening
two different documents at a time.  I can't remember the exact wording of
the error, but it was something like "can't open this document, it's already
open".  I don't see anything in the logs that would seem related, but not
sure what to look for.  Any suggestions anyone?

These aren't errors due to write permissions, and our smb.conf configuration
hasn't changed very much (except when necessary) between previous releases
of samba that worked well with Access and Photoshop.

Jamie ffolliott
Engineering Society, Queen's U