Kixtart Remote Procedure Calls on a samba PDC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Mar 17 20:09:05 GMT 1999

xtian,

try latest cvs not 2.0.x also try against nt srv, send netmon trace to me
and matthew chapman.

thx!

luke

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Christian Perrier wrote:

> I'm currently using on some domains login scripts with Kixtart (a utility
> from the NT Server Resource Kit). Kixtart uses Remote Procedure Calls for
> getting things like the list of a group a user is belonging to and so on.
>
> This is done by running a special service on the logon servers of the
> domain, called RPCSRV.EXE (ad far as I remember).
>
> Of course, such scripts do not work with a samba PDC. Is it planned to add a
> similar functionality in further releases (or is it already possible for
> some functions in the current releases)?
>
> My main concern is getting automatic connections to some resources on file
> servers depending on the groups the user is belonging to.
>
> With Kixtart, I do something like this (I'm not sure of the syntax, but
> you'll get the poinbt, I hope) :
>
> if ingroup("staff")
>     connect S: \\server\staff
> endif
>
> This behaviour is the last one I'm missing for migrating some domains
> towards samba PDC (assuming, I don't want BDC).
>
> --

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99