Domain logon problems with 10.Mar.99 CVS source

Urs Steiner urs at vis.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 10 19:08:23 GMT 1999

hi Stefan
nice to see you use samba at the ETHZ :)

>I have downloaded the current NT Domain Controller source today. I
>managed to get it to work as a PDC according to the NTDOM FAQ and could
>join a NT4 workstation with SP4 to the domain of the Samba PDC.
>
>However when I try to log on to the domain as a user I get a dialog
>containing this message:
>
>  The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
>  account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
>  is incorrect.

did you a smbpasswd -a -m machinename?
you should have a line in your smbpasswd file like this:
noway$:1000:53B5EDC2147175CDC6774256E8D7F4CC:53B5EDC2147175CDC6774256E8D7F4C
C:[W          ]:LCT-362C56A8:

where noway is the name of your workstation ...
(there should also be a "user" noway$ in your /etc/passwd because otherwise
you can't smbpasswd -a -m machinename ...)

Urs

--
mail: urs [dot] steiner [at] switzerland [dot] org
http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~urs/