Basic question about Samba PDC

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Mar 5 15:35:03 GMT 1999

Freddie Ng wrote:

> Here's the situation.  I want my NT box to join a Samba
> domain.  I have followed the steps in the document "FAQ
> for Samba NTDOM PDC Support" found in the Samba website.
> According to this document, a file name private/SAMBA.SID
> will be created after starting smbd.  However, no such
> file was created.  What did I do wrong?

SAMBA will be replaced with whatever value for the
workgroup you assigned (you are using the HEAD branch source
code and not Samba 2.0.3 right?)

> Also, when I tried switching from Workgroup to Domain on
> my NT box, the computer gives me the error message "You
> already have a connection to the domain.  You must
> disconnect before joining the domain."

Make sure you have no network connections to the server.
I will add this one to the FAQ this weekend hopefully along
with a few others.

> I have read about how to configure the file smb.conf
> to make Samba a PDC.  I think the problem isn't
> coming from misconfiguring this file.

If thee comments don't help, send me you smb.conf and
I'll have a look.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter