Basic question about Samba PDC

Freddie Ng ng_f at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:19:34 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I am sorry if this is a FAQ, but I definitely need to work this out as
soon as possible.

Here's the situation.  I want my NT box to join a Samba domain.  I have
followed the steps in the document "FAQ for Samba NTDOM PDC Support"
found in the Samba website.  According to this document, a file name
private/SAMBA.SID will be created after starting smbd.  However, no such
file was created.  What did I do wrong?

Also, when I tried switching from Workgroup to Domain on my NT box, the
computer gives me the error message "You already have a connection to
the domain.  You must disconnect before joining the domain."

I have read about how to configure the file smb.conf to make Samba a
PDC.  I think the problem isn't coming from misconfiguring this file.

Thanks a lot in advance.  Any help or suggestion would be appreciated!

Fred Ng,
Systems Administrator
Toronto District School Board