Samba and Profiles

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Thu Mar 4 19:52:15 GMT 1999

a samba-2.0.x pdc does not provide the necessary domain user information
to a domain client for things like user manager and ntfs access control
lists to work yet.  if you need these features then you have to run the
samba-2.1.0prealpha version.

a workaround for the roaming profile problem is available and has been
posted to the samba lists in the past.  it may also be on the samba
nt-domain faq, i'm not sure.  essentially what you have to do is to copy
the profile (using the My Computer->Properties->User Profiles Copy
function and change the Permitted to Use field to Everyone).  you have to
do this copy while not connected to the domain (either temporarily leave
the domain and join a workgroup, or disconnect your network cable and wait
for the timeout) because otherwise it will fail or crash when trying to
get the domain user info from the pdc (like user manager does).

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \