nt WS can´t get in samba domain

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 3 15:30:24 GMT 1999

Noel Köthe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my problem is that I can´t add a nt WS to a samba domain.
> I have a linux ( 2.0.36 ) server with samba 2.0.3 and
> 20 Win95 ( not b ) clients. The clients connect to the
> samba controlled nt domain without any problems ( PW change
> with sync works ! ). encryption is OFF.

You **must** use pasword encryption to get the PDC support.

> Now I want to add a NT WS ( nttest ) to this domain.
> I use NT 4.0 with SP 2 so it is safe to use encryption = no.

This is a misconception.  NT ha always required password
encrpytion for domain control.  What SP3 did was make the
default behavior "do not downgrade to plain text passwords
if the server does not support password encryption".

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )