nt logon error

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 3 14:30:49 GMT 1999

John T Chiodi wrote:

> Yesterday I was having difficultities with smbd loading due
> to the fact that
> I had two .SID files.  one was created by 2.1.0-prealpha and the other
> was created by 2.0.3.  I was not sure which I should get rid of so I
> removed both and recreated the MACHINE.SID.  Does upgrading to new
> builds of 2.1.0-prealpha cause this as well?  anyway, I will now have
> to leave the domain and rejoin the domain.  Live and learn.  This
> might be something to include in the faq.

>From Q2.2...

* Starting smbd will create a file name private/SAMBA.SID
  with permissions rw-r--r--. The file contains the domain
  SID for the samba PDC. The filename will differ depending
+ on the value of the workgroup parameter.  If the contents of
+ this file change, no domain members will be able to logon
+ and will need to be readded to the domain again.   Guard
  it carefully!

Note that Samba 2.0.x uses MACHINE.SID and the HEAD
branch uses WORKGROUP.SID where WORKGROUP is the value of
the smb.conf parameter by the same name.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )