Bug ?

Alexandre Lecuyer Alexandre.Lecuyer at iu-vannes.fr
Wed Mar 3 10:31:06 GMT 1999

Hello all,

I have experienced something strange while trying policies with Samba :

1 - created a local group on the NT workstation called "info2"
2 - created a UNIX user "ensinfo2", primary group "info2" and added him
in group too
id ensinfo2 gives
uid=503(ensinfo2) gid=503(info2) groups=503(info2)

(I have read it is necessary for the user to be in the group file
too.. not only primary group in passwd)

The policy doesn't work, and the user manager for domains says the
primary group of user "ensinfo2"
is "ensinfo2" ! (and I do *not* have any group called ensinfo2)

I thougt maybe the fact the uid and gid are the same is confusing
samba.. so I changed
info2:x:503:ensinfo2
info2:x:510:ensinfo2

now id ensinfo2 gives
uid=503(ensinfo2) gid=510(info2) groups=510(info2)

and bingo, the policy works now, and user manager for domains shows the
correct primary group.

So, did I get something wrong or is samba (or NT ??) getting confused
when the uid/gid are the same ?

I am using samba 2.1.0-prealpha, updated the sources yesterday
the client is a NT 4.0 workstation with SP4 installed

Thanx

--
Alexandre Lécuyer
CCRI IUT-IUP de Vannes