Broken Pipe problem?

John Rooke john.rooke at lpsystems.com
Fri Jun 11 09:38:33 GMT 1999

Hi,

We are running samba 2.1-prealpha on SuSE Linux 6.0 (as a PDC) with win
NTW 4.0 PC's.

When some PC's log on it seems to take an age and sits on the NTW splash
screen after validating the password with the PDC. The following is an
extract of the log.neil log file that was generated during one such
incident.

What is the Broken Pipe error and how is it fixed?

I have a network of many PC's with the same problem and am getting
hassled to fix it by the users.

Yours in desperation.

John.

[1999/06/11 10:32:33, 0]
smbd/uid.c:unbecome_root(391)
  ERROR: unbecome root depth is
0
[1999/06/11 10:32:35, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(327)
  john logged in as admin user (root
privileges)
[1999/06/11 10:32:35, 1]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(515)
  neil (10.1.1.10) connect to service profiles as user john (uid=500,
gid=100) (
pid
7133)
[1999/06/11 10:32:39, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(194)
  write_socket: Error writing 32831 bytes to socket 8: ERRNO = Broken
pipe
[1999/06/11 10:32:39, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(577)
  Error writing 32831 bytes to client. -1.
Exiting

260,3