I wanna be the big cheese!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Jun 29 18:34:06 GMT 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Aaron Rainwater/CADC Co-op wrote:

> Okay, so it was a late night and I'm feelin' kinda
> wacky today... %>
>
> Anyway, I noticed I do not have full control of
> the NT machine I'm using when I'm logged on as
> administrator on the Samba PDC.  How do I give
> "MY_SAMBA_SERVER\Administrator" the same "big cheese"
> capabilities as "LOCAL_MACHINE\Administrator" ?

put an entry mapping a unix group to BUILTIN\Administrators. make
ABSOLUTELY sure that no unix groups are reused across ALL of the
group/alias/builtin mapping files.

alternatively, map ONE unix user (preferably a unix superuser, this will
help but it's not actually necessary) using user file to Administrator.

> BTW - You people have been amazingly helpful in
> keeping me from going insane...thanks!  :)

we have an education problem.  samba admins not only have to learn how to
admin nt AND admin unix, they have to learn how to map between the two,
which actually makes them far better nt admins.

luke