RPC Problems

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Jun 29 12:45:47 GMT 1999

Lanny Baron wrote:

> When you get the answer would you be so kind as to let
> me know to :-)  run an NT box and several FreeBSD boxes
> and to be honest. I dont know what RPC is. But somehow,
> i think it might be important that i do.

RPC (Remore Procedure Call) - a mechanism by which a
program can call function/procedure on other machine
"Distributed Operating Systems" - Andrew S. Tannenbaum,
Prentcice Hall, 1995.

Windows NT uses RPC to implement things such as gaining
a list of user account to display in User Manager for
Domain.  Many of these ROC's have been network reversed
engineered and implemented in Samba.  Many, but not all.
Which is why you will see these messages on NT clients.

...This is a oversimplified explanation, but shoudl help.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )