permissions/ownership

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mon Jun 28 20:02:56 GMT 1999

Dave J. Andruczyk wrote:

> Is it possible to have a samba 2.0.4b machine (setup as a domain MEMBER)
> to have another NT server chaneg the ownership and permissions under
> explorer on a file stored on that samba server?  Is this FULLY (i.e.
> completely, no apparant bugs/workaround needed) functional?

Permissions yes, ownership - that's more difficult. It
works at the API level (ie. using a chown command works,
I wrote one and tested it) - but the owning SID you are
changing to must be a SID local to the machine you are
modifying the owner on (ie. it must be a valid local
SID on the Samba 2.0.4b machine). There is no way to
do this via the "take ownership" button, as the SID
you are logged on under can never be such a local SID.

It may be possible to do a mapping from remote SID -> user
name -> local SID to determine who to change the ownership
to, but it is unclear as to is that is the desired behaviour.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.