Unix and Samba password sync

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jun 25 12:20:08 GMT 1999

> We habe already the same problem, because our UNIX-password are
> NIS-Passwords and it is not possible - also as root - to change the
> NIS-password without having the old password.
> Somebody tells me about a hacked yppasswd, working without the old
> passwords, but I can't find something similar like this in the web.
> Do anyone know about a yppasswd changing passwords (as root) without
> asking for the old password ?

I wrote that yppasswdd daemon your talking about.  It assumes your Samba
password server and NIS server are the same box.  The yppasswd client send the
password to yppasswdd in clear text,  which then updates the /etc/passwd and
smbpasswd files.  I can send you a copy if you want but it is one UGLY hack.
 My end goal now is the make Linux use LDAP for password authentication, and
for Samba to use LDAP,  and solve the problem that way.