Problems with smbpasswd

Andy Smith abs at maunsell.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 10:57:22 GMT 1999

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 07:16:29PM +1000, Nick Tan wrote:

> I am using the CVS version of samba and I am trying to set up a PDC.
> However when I try to use smbpasswd I get the following errors:
>
> cli_connect_serverlist: Domain password server not available
> get_member_domain_sid: Unable to initialise client connection
> Can't setup password database vectors.

As a followup, I get the same problem, but have worked around it by
using an old version of smbpasswd which I had from a previous
compilation.

More importantly, I am trying to chase through a much more serious problem
with entries in the smbpasswd file.  I am using sparc-solaris 2.5.1 BTW, you
haven't mentioned your environment?

o  we using files for password lookup (nsswitch.conf) even though we
   run NIS for other services (autohome)
o  we have 2000 entries in password file
o  we have 600 entries in smbpasswd file

This setup has been working with an older (pre domain group) CVS version,
but running the latest CVS, a user's success at being able to log into
the domain depends on thier position in smbpasswd file.  I can manually
edit the file and change my entry from line 25 to line 26 and that will
prevent me from logging in.  The error at the workstation is that my
password is wrong, but if I move my entry even further down the file, the
error changes to the computer account is wrong.

I will try to get back to this later, the default level logs do not show
anything useful apart from this in the logs for the PDC :-

[1999/06/24 11:26:10, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(219)
  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are available.

and syslog, which has this repeated many times (for a successful login)
which I have seen mentioned in the list already :-

smbd[29768]: [1999/06/24 11:33:19, 0] smbd/uid.c:become_root(370)
smbd[29768]:   ERROR: become root depth is non zero
smbd[29768]: [1999/06/24 11:33:19, 0] smbd/uid.c:unbecome_root(391)
smbd[29768]:   ERROR: unbecome root depth is 0

--
  _          __         Maunsell Ltd, IT Unit    Tel  : 0181-663-6565
 /_|   _/   (  _  '_//  160 Croydon Road,        Fax  : 0181-663-6723
(  |/)(/(/ __)//)/ //)  Beckenham, Kent BR3 4DE  Email: abs at maunsell.co.uk
        /               England.                 -or- abs at maunsl00.demon.co.uk