Printing from NT and Win95

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Wed Jun 23 15:34:21 GMT 1999

+t is indeed the best way to more or less secure a shared (world-writable)
spool directory, but your description of its semantics is not quite correct.

+t merely prevents users other than root, the owner of the directory, or the
owner of the file from removing links to it from that directory (or renaming
existing links).  Anyone with write access to the directory, however, can
create additional links to the file (although they cannot of course
subsequently remove them).  +t on a directory also has no bearing on being
able to modify a file in that directory; that is still determined soley by
the applicable w bit on the file, and thus the umask of the process that
creates it.