Unix and Samba password sync

Christian Hoffmann hoffmann at uni-koblenz-landau.de
Wed Jun 23 11:44:14 GMT 1999

Hi,

qhoang at csc.com schrieb:
> ERROR: the 'passwd chat' script [*old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n
> *new*password* %n\n *changed*] expects to use the old plaintext password
> via the %o substitution. With encrypted passwords this is not possible.

Thats right, the NT-Client using encrypted password transfers no "old
password" to the PDC (samba), so samba couldn't use it for the
passwd-chat.

The passwd-programm is called by samba as root and normally there is no
need for the old password, because root could change the user-password
without it.

We habe already the same problem, because our UNIX-password are
NIS-Passwords and it is not possible - also as root - to change the
NIS-password without having the old password.

Somebody tells me about a hacked yppasswd, working without the old
passwords, but I can't find something similar like this in the web.

Do anyone know about a yppasswd changing passwords (as root) without
asking for the old password ?

Thank you

Christian

Christian Hoffmann
Universität Koblenz-Landau
Präsidialamt Mainz
Referat 32: EDV-Organisation und -Entwicklung
Tel: +49-6131-3746022
Fax: +49-6131-3746040
Mail: hoffmann at uni-koblenz-landau.de