Unix and Samba password sync

qhoang at csc.com qhoang at csc.com
Tue Jun 22 22:08:56 GMT 1999

Hi all,

Unix and Samba password sync has been a hot topic and I've been through all
FAQs and Archives but I just can't seem to find the right answer to my
problem.

The problem is that if I leave out "Unix Password Sync = Yes" in the
smb.conf file, PC users can change their passwords from their workstations
(via Alt+Ctl+Del). However, Unix and Samba password will then be out of
sync.

If I then put "Unix Password Synx = Yes" in smb.conf file this is the error
that I get when I run "testparm":
ERROR: the 'passwd chat' script [*old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n
*new*password* %n\n *changed*] expects to use the old plaintext password
via the %o substitution. With encrypted passwords this is not possible.

My version of Samba is 2.04b and it is running on Solaris 7 for Intel.

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Quynh Hoang
Senior System Administrator, Major Defence Projects
CSC Australia
460 Pacific Highway, St Leonards NSW 2065
Ph: 61-2-99011255    Fax: 61-2-99011555    Email: qhoang at csc.com.au