NT 4 sp3 audit + samba = total mess

Florian Laws florian at void.s.bawue.de
Sun Jun 20 18:52:23 GMT 1999

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 01:03:08AM +1000, MATHOG at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu wrote:

> As administrator:
>
> 1.  select any file (on C:, this has nothing to do with samba file sharing)
> 2.  properties
> 3.  audit
> 4.  add
>
> at this point it tries to look up the users in SAF, fails, and Dr. Watson
> pays a visit.  No matter how quickly I change the group/domain from
> SAF to the name of the local machine, this always happens.

This sounds just like the old problem with the setting of file permisions
via Explorer in an Samba-controlled domain. The 2.0 series of Samba couldn't
supply user lists to the Explorer which caused it to crash.
I don't know if this is still the case in 2.0.2 or in the current 2.0.4b,
CVS HEAD doesn't have this problem.
Perhaps you can try setting up a small testbed with a Samba CVS HEAD domain
controller.

Florian