security = domain vs. valid users = @group

Martin Apel apel at tecmath.de
Fri Jun 18 14:23:03 GMT 1999

> With samba 2.0.4b on Solaris 2.6 with nis (not nis+),
> all I get is repeated failures in the username/password
> dialog box when I use this combination in smb.conf:
>
>   [global]
>   security = domain
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>
>   [myshare]
>   valid users = @unixgroup
>
> But when I change to
>
>   valid users = user1,user2,user3
>
> all is well.
>
> Has anyone found success with valid users = @group?

I have similar problems on a Linux 2.2.10 machine. However I found out
that the problem seems to depend on the number of users which are member
of the given netgroup. For me the problem occurs only for a netgroup
with about 80 members. If I try the same for smaller netgroups, everything
works fine.

Any further experiences anywhere?

Martin

    Martin Apel                                 phone: ++49.6301.606.300
    Human Modeling                                fax: ++49.6301.606.309
    TECMATH GmbH & Co. KG                       email: apel at tecmath.de
    Sauerwiesen 2
    67661 Kaiserslautern, Germany