Connecting to Samba through a Firewall

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Fri Jun 18 13:28:29 GMT 1999

> I have Samba installed on a Sun-Sparc UNIX box at a co-location facility.
> At my office, we have an internal network protected by Wingate firewall
> software.  I cannot connect from my Windows 95 machine to the Samba share
> because of the firewall.  However, from the server that has the firewall
> server (it also has 2 network cards - 1 internal and 1 external), I can
> connect without any problem.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of how to fix the situation so I can connect from
> my local Windows 95/98 computers to the Samba shares?

Wingate is a pain to use. It cannot be configured hardly at all to allow
specific firewall holes.  A linux box with twin netcards using ipfwadm
(or ipchains on 2.2 kernel) is far more stable, faster and easier to
manage.

I'd suggest using  lmhosts to create a static entry to point to the remote
server. (this is only good if the server's ip NEVER changes, and if you
only need to do it on a SMALL network. larger networks are better served
using a WINS server).

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology