Win95/98/NT --> Solaris character issue

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Thu Jun 17 17:55:30 GMT 1999

These kinds of problems have been around for a very long time.  Thing is,
there's no really reliable way to know with 100% certainty whether a file is
supposed to be ASCII or binary, and the only way ftp gets around that is to
allow the user to explicitly specify which it is.  That really isn't
practicable with the user interface that Windows provides, and certainly
wouldn't be transparent in any case. This is a software engineering problem
that predates Samba by quite a bit (at least 20 years); if it was soluable,
it would have been solved by now. :(