SP5 and IE5 Problems

norman at lithe.uark.edu norman at lithe.uark.edu
Thu Jun 17 17:03:39 GMT 1999

"Roger D." wrote:

> [...]

What happens is Internet Explorer, by default, caches all of your visited web
sites
in your local profile directory.  This directory, with roaming profiles
activated on
NT and samba, gets replicated to the samba server on logout and copied back on
login.  Not only does IE place stuff there, but so do other programs like
Outlook
(Express?), and some other MS programs.

We have profile sizes limited to 30M, and believe me, it can fill up fast.  One
thing
that we are currently doing is to remove the internet files from the profile
directory,
and place them under a local temp directory that does not get put back on the
server.  For those people we haven't done this for, profile sizes of 10 to 20 M
are
quite common, and on our 10-BaseT line, it can take anywhere from 30 seconds
and up to get the larger profiles down from the server.  We also have the staff

compact their mail folders from time to time to make the transfers smaller, and
delete
emails that are no longer needed.

This could very well be a problem if you do not have profile sizes limited in
any way,
and people are surfing the web or recieving large numbers of emails quite
often.

To help, try limiting the profile size by using the profile editor for NT (I
don't remember
which tree it was in, we stumbled on it by accident and decided it was a good
thing).

Hope this helps.

Norman Weathers
Technology Coordinator ETS
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

phone: (501) 575-3553 or (501) 575-4344
email: nweathe at comp.uark.edu or norman at lithe.uark.edu

"It's not that I 'prefer' to do this without an NT server.... I
just 'prefer' to do it where it will work..."