Can't remove samba server from NT/PDC domain

Tarun Upadhyay mau94319 at pushpa.cse.iitd.ernet.in
Tue Jun 15 05:56:20 GMT 1999

> Your machine cannot have a dual personality as far as NT server goes. In other
> words The name must be different based on which OS you are booted in. You might
> even want to use different IPs although I'm not sure about that.
>
> On 14-Jun-99 David Cooper wrote:
> >
> > I have a dual boot Linux(2.0.35)/NT4 machine. I regularly switch
> > between the 2 OS's. When running NT it sits on an NT/PDC domain.

Different IPs are not required. It is enough to just change the NetBios
name of the machine in samba settings. We have been running such a cluster
for quite sometime (> 6 months) now.

(In fact, it also makes sense to assign two seprate names - say, "machine"
and "machine95" if you dual boot between NT and 95/98)

With Warm Regards
Tarun