User Manager for Domains and LDAP

Martin Hofbauer Bacher Systems EDV mh at bacher.at
Mon Jun 14 23:05:15 GMT 1999

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Kevin Myer wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On an mostly unrelated note to NTDOM stuff, has anyone come up with a good
> mechanism for keeping Samba related LDAP entries in their own hierarchy?

I have asked that 3 or 4 times in the last half year with a suggestion to
add a new samba parameter for the base-dir of the "trust accounts" -
One respone from Matt Chapman saying:
NO, there are other ways to seperate users from "trust accounts" ...   :-(
( You should use different ACLs )

> My posix stuff hierarchy is getting a bit messy with Samba stuff and I
> would love to move everything Samba related to its own tree.  However, I'm
> concerned that since Samba relies on the POSIX stuff as well for user
> account info, etc., I might break things if I limit my search in smb.conf
> to something like ou=Samba Stuff,dc=elanco,dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us.  Currently
> everything is being stored in ou=People,dc=elanco,dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us and
> that is my LDAP root in smb.conf and it doesn't appear to be a problem
> that my UNIX groups, etc. are stored elsewhere because the PAM and NSS
> LDAP modules handle those lookups but...

Martin Hofbauer                                       IT-Consulting
phone : +43 (1) 60 126-34                   Bacher Systems EDV GmbH
fax   : +43 (1) 60 126-4                         Wienerbergstr. 11B
e-mail: mh at bacher.at                         A-1101 Vienna, Austria