Need advice on using security=domain between two domains

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Jun 14 18:32:59 GMT 1999

Hello,

I have a problem that I am not sure how to solve or if it can be solved

Our users are created under one domain which spans several geographic sites
(DOMAIN1). Machine accounts (including the samba server machine account) are
created under another domain which is local to our site (DOMAIN2).

A trust relationship has been set up so that users can DOMAIN1 can access
resources in DOMAIN2.

I've tried setting (in smb.conf)

workgroup = DOMAIN2
security  = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = DOMAIN2_PDC

and this does not work (as is expected).

However,

workgroup = DOMAIN1
security  = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = DOMAIN1_PDC

doesn't seem to work either.

Is this something that can be done? Or must I use security = server?

Eric M. Boehm                               boehm at nortelnetworks.com