Stock Redhat 6.0 and Samba is not a good mix !!

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Mon Jun 14 18:16:16 GMT 1999

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Christian E wrote:

> 	Just thought I would share this experiences with you all (so you don't
> have to go through the same trouble as me). I've set up a Samba
> filer-server in my company and from the start I wanted to use the new
> redhat 6. i decided to test the sucker before implementing it by using
> Netbench 6 from ZD. I set up the samba-server and connected 10 klients
> for the test (100 Mbit clients) and started the test....
> 	It couldn't even complete 1/4 th of the test before Samba core- dumped
> and in the next couple of test runs all kinds of weird stuff happened:
> "server service not started" on the clients and no response from Samba
> even though it seemed to be running....
> 	After having tried both Samba 2.0.4 and 2.0.3 without luck and having
> succesfully run a test with a redhat 5.2 box I decided to try and
> install 5.2 and repeat the test.
> 	It worked without any problems whatsoever and with even better
> performance...I don't know if any of you have had such problems, but it

Funny that you mention it, the other day a friend of mine tried to use my
box as a gateway to other unixworkstations on the network to transfer a 50
meg text file. When he did so, it seeming crashed my system (required a
hard reboot). I didn't know he was doing it at the time and when he seemed
upset about me rebooting, he told me what he was doing, and it kinda
shocked me. I've have other issues getting samba to do various things on a
RH6.0 system, so I just let it go.

Just an experience
			-peace