umlauts

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Mon Jun 14 17:12:50 GMT 1999

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> There's also the problem that umlaut characters will be sent in
> MS-Unicode encoding format when sent in DCE/RPC packets. Correct
> decoding of this isn't currently implemented in Samba.

ah! That may be the (only) problem that my patches produce: Even if a
resource can be shared by f.e. "net use x: \\sörwa\schär", it is viewed
incorrectly by "net view \\sörwa" though "net view /domain:domäin" works
perfectly showing sörwa with the correct umlauts. This problem only
occurs under WinNT, not on Win95 or Win98.

> I have a plan on how to do this but haven't yet implemented it.

I did the patches in March but waited for a solution on the above problem.
Well, maybe we will have umlaut support soon? :-) Are there any
RPC-NT-Unicode translations available yet? Information on this anywhere?

> > BTW: Gurus, which is the correct mailinglist for development discussions
> > concerning something like Umlaut Support?
> samba-technical is the right mailing list for development issues.

ok, let's put it there.

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Bunt ist das Dasein und granatenstark. Und: Volle Kanne, Hoschis!
                         aus: "Bill und Teds verrückte Reise durch die Zeit"