Problems validating names with special characters

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Mon Jun 14 15:40:41 GMT 1999

OK, has nothing to do with PDC, but anyway:

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Michael Lackhoff wrote:

> I set up a new samba server (2.04b) with security = domain.
> Everything works fine as long as the (valid) username doesn't
> contain one of our special German characters ("Umlaut"). If it does
> I get the following error message in the log:

I already worked a little bit on umlaut support in Samba for Server names,
Domain/Workgroup names, Share names, descriptions and Swat/Diagnosis. Is
there anyone else interested in developing this patch so we can continue
doing username stuff? Of course, this is also needed when workstations
with umlauts in the names will have to join a Samba domain.

The problem is: The umlauts supplied by the workstation are transferred in
CP850, but the umlauts you type in your config file under Unix are
probably ISO-8859-1 compatible. So samba has to do a conversion which it
actually does not. Warning: Supporting Usernames with umlauts are _NOT_ a
small hack for the Samba sources! There is a lot to change to support it
correctly!

BTW: Gurus, which is the correct mailinglist for development discussions
concerning something like Umlaut Support?

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Bunt ist das Dasein und granatenstark. Und: Volle Kanne, Hoschis!
                         aus: "Bill und Teds verrückte Reise durch die Zeit"