Problems validating names with special characters

Michael Lackhoff lackhoff at fh-muenster.de
Mon Jun 14 13:54:54 GMT 1999

I set up a new samba server (2.04b) with security = domain.
Everything works fine as long as the (valid) username doesn't
contain one of our special German characters ("Umlaut"). If it does
I get the following error message in the log:

[1999/06/14 15:12:30, 0]
smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1369)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user
hning in domain BIBLIOTHEK to Domain controller HB015. Error
was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.

Well there is no user "hning" but there is a user "hüning" with a
valid password in the domain. And this user is loggod on at a NT
Workstation.

I must add that this user has no unix-account. She is mapped
with the help of the "username map=" option to a valid unix user.
As I said before this mapping as everything else I tried works fine
with other user names.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Michael Lackhoff