Stock Redhat 6.0 and Samba is not a good mix !!

Christian E ce at atl.dk
Mon Jun 14 13:13:58 GMT 1999

Hi,all

	Just thought I would share this experiences with you all (so you don't
have to go through the same trouble as me). I've set up a Samba
filer-server in my company and from the start I wanted to use the new
redhat 6. i decided to test the sucker before implementing it by using
Netbench 6 from ZD. I set up the samba-server and connected 10 klients
for the test (100 Mbit clients) and started the test....
	It couldn't even complete 1/4 th of the test before Samba core- dumped
and in the next couple of test runs all kinds of weird stuff happened:
"server service not started" on the clients and no response from Samba
even though it seemed to be running....
	After having tried both Samba 2.0.4 and 2.0.3 without luck and having
succesfully run a test with a redhat 5.2 box I decided to try and
install 5.2 and repeat the test.
	It worked without any problems whatsoever and with even better
performance...I don't know if any of you have had such problems, but it
has confirmed my opinion about Redhat 6.0...It's a rushed release which
hasn't been tested thoroughly...I also spoke to H.J LU from VA and he
said that they'd had al sorts of problems with redhat 6....
	Here's my test result:

RH ver:		Samba ver:	Kernel:		SMP:	SW-RAID: 	Result:

6.0		2.0.4		2.2.6		Yes	Yes		Unstable
6.0		2.0.3		2.2.6		Yes	Yes		Unstable
5.2		2.0.3		2.0.36-0.7	Yes	No		Stable
5.2		2.0.3		2.0.36-3	Yes	No		Stable
5.2		2.0.3		2.2.6		Yes	No		Stable
5.2		2.0.4		2.2.6		Yes	Yes		Stable

	The last is my current setup...It's stable and performs very well....

best regards

Christian E