Can't remove samba server from NT/PDC domain

David Cooper dc at server1.smb.man.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 09:14:51 GMT 1999

Hello, I hope that this is the right list for my problem. Apologies if you have
received this before - the copy sent back to me had no body.

the background:

I have a dual boot Linux(2.0.35)/NT4 machine. I regularly switch
between the 2 OS's. When running NT it sits on an NT/PDC domain.
When in unix mode I needed to share some files with other NT
clients so I installed Samba 2.0.3 and followed the instructions
in "Joining an NT domain with Samba2.0". It worked fine, I could access
my unix files from the NT clients, and NT shares from my unix box using
<smbclient>.

the problem:

When I reboot (my machine) back to NT I can't login to the NT domain
because it still thinks my machine is a Samba server.
( I get various messages about my passwd account being missing etc).
I go back to being a Samba server and then try to remove my machine from the NT
domain using the manager program in the NT/PDC. Although it says that it has
removed my machine it never removes it from the list, even if I remove the
shares that I had set up on the <smb.conf> file. Despite its pop-up notice that
an update in 15 mins will remove it from the list this never happens. Rebooting
the PDC (last resort) fails to remove my machine from the domain. (I have
attached my config file). There do not seem to be any problems removing
normal NT clients from the domain. Those that don't share anything disappear
from the list immediately.

In short:

What do I need to do to remove my machine (running as a Samba server) from an
NT/PDC domain so that I can add it later as a normal NT client? Any help on this
will be _greatly_ appreciated.

thanks i.a.

Dave Cooper

----------------------------