Sync Passwords

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Jun 10 16:26:32 GMT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Colin Higgs wrote:

> Andrew Perrin - Demography wrote:
> >
> > I would very much appreciate seeing this NT-compiled smbpasswd, and
> > possibly using it. Would you be willing to share it?
> >

> I compiled it with the cygwin tools from Cygnus Solutions. I have
> version b20, which I downloaded recently, but you can get the latest
> version free from:
>
> http://www.cygnus.com/cygwin
>
> I don't recall any problems getting smbpasswd compiled just by
> downloading samba-2.0.3 (the latest at the time), doing the usual
> /configure and then make bin/smbpasswd. If you have any problems or are
> happy with a pre-compiled binary then mail me and I'll send you a
> binary. Same goes for anyone else on the list.
>
> I have heard of other people who went as far as compiling the whole
> samba suite under cygwin. Perhaps if anyone's feeling particularly
> perverse it could be possible to run a samba PDC from an NT box :-)

i compiled samba's rpcclient under cygwin b20.  i found that it, and ssh
and cvs, all failed on file read() functions when the binary text being
read came across a "^Z" character in the data stream.  this, of course,
made reading .ssh/identity absolutely impossible.

also, pressing return seemed not to have an effect, only when ctrl-z was
pressed did the output results of a command appear on-screen, and
thereafter because of the ctrl-z no further stdin inout could be read!

generally bad all round, really.