smbpasswd password changing

lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de
Thu Jun 10 11:36:15 GMT 1999

> 	Running Samba 2.0.4b on Solaris 2.5.1
>
> 	I can't get smbpasswd to change a password as a normal user.
> (I've allowed 127. in the hosts allow parameter in smb.conf)

On Solaris smbpasswd uses getpass(3C) to get the old/new passwords from the
user. getpass is limited to return up to PASS_MAX (8) characters on Solaris.
If your password is longer than 8 characters smbpasswd will fail. Try
patching smbpasswd to use getpassphrase(3C) (which returns up to 255
characters which might give a problem with too long passwords).

Rainer