Disabling password updates.

Steven Jones noyd at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 9 00:01:48 GMT 1999

Dear Samba gurus:

I have a Samba domain which must have password updates exclusively via the
local "smbpasswd" program, and I need to prevent updates from other
sources.  It appears to me that there aren't any configuration or build
options to disable all password update requests submitted to smbd.

I'm using the configuration options:
    encrypt passwords = true
    update encrypted  = false

Am I missing something?

It looks to me like the code I'd need to modify to prevent smbd from
making password changes is in smbd/ipc.c [ api_SetUserPassword() and
api_SamOEMChangePassword() ] and smbd/chgpasswd.c [ pass_oem_change(),
change_lanman_password(), chgpasswd()]. Does that cover it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

--
  Steven Jones
  Computing & Communications 354843,  University of Washington