Basic filesystem rights setup

Tim Reimers tim at pisgah.new-era.com
Mon Jun 7 20:46:03 GMT 1999

Hi folks-

I'm a newbie at the Samba thing- and probably posting to the wrong list ;)
but, I have a simple question I need a clear outline of how to do...

I need to set up three directories as follows:

One is for a DOS database- I assume that all users need full rights-
create/erase/write/delete....

another is the users common directory - with <drive letter:>/Users/username
This _could_ be /home of course...

And, lastly, an area where people can store just plain old files...

My question is this-- I know I need to create the directories in Linux, but
I don't know who should own and what the basic perms should be.

I'd like to use only _one_ system of rights- either set Unix perms 'wide-open'
and use Samba create masks to limit them, or vice versa somehow... seems
confusing to do a little of each part of the rights each way..

Thanks for any sample configs and notes anyone has....

regards, tim

(btw- I'm using stock samba, not any of the compilable PDC code- just set
the domain controller for 95 to 'yes' and logins are working fine, with a
login.bat that works for the most part- some shares don't get mapped
right... a perms problem I'm here to solve...

Tim Reimers
Certified Netware Administrator
Internet Communications
Performance Data
20 Nix Rd.
Hendersonville, NC 28792
(828)-697-6346
(828)-697-7641 (fax)
tim at 20nix.com (work)

A mechanism of world inter-communication will be devised,
embracing the whole planet, freed from national hindrances
and restrictions, and functioning with marvellous swiftness
and perfect regularity.
Quoted from "The World Order of Baba'u'llah", p 203
Shoghi Effendi, Guardian of The Baha'i Faith
1936