Mail on samba shares

Tulassay Zsolt zsolt at tek.bke.hu
Mon Jun 7 12:29:53 GMT 1999

Tomek Jarosinski wrote:
> Hello,
> I advice you netscape instead of outlook. When you install netscape and
> you start it for the first time you have to create one mail profile. You
> can create one profile and it will be saved on H:\netscape. On
> H:\netscape you will find prefs.js, in prefs.js you will find ALL
> netscape settings (NO REGISTRY). Important are settings with:

I just want to add, that Netscape Communicator stores its profile
settings (location of prefs.js, etc.) in a file called nsreg.dat
under the windows directory. Sometimes problems are caused by that,
because if someone does not log on to the network, there is no H:
and Netscape will fail to find its preferences. So it overwrites
nsreg.dat and creates a new prefs.js file on the machine's hard
drive. Then, when the next user logs on, Netscape will use the
prefs on the hard drive, even if all required files
are in place udner H:\netscape or some other dir.
(That's only a problem, if you cant force everybody to log on the
network.)
My solution was to create a functional nsreg.dat and copy it to the
windows directory at every logon from the logon script.

btw the file nsreg.dat seems to have an own binary format, so you
can't edit it directly (only with netscape's profile manager)

Zsolt