NT4 server & Samba logons..totally confused

Lanny Baron lnb at freedom.cybertouch.org
Mon Jun 7 09:25:18 GMT 1999

Hello Samba users,

note*** I am not subscribed to this list and if you answer it, please mail
me back directly at lnb at cybertouch.org..thanks

I am really confused. I have read quite a few of the docs with
Samba-2.0.4b, with respect to having an NT server and Samba. With NT
running do you have domain logons = yes ? If so, what about [profiles] and
[homes]?

Maybe the question should be asked, if I have Samba running what do I need
NT for? I had win98 running before and everything was fine. I killed the
win98 box and installed NT4. I can't transfer (either by a windows ftp
client or via Network Neighborhood) my directories on the NT box so I can

My setup (topography) is one NT box, 2 FreeBSD/Samba boxes. You might ask
what the F--K am i trying to accomplish. Well, I want people to be able to
dialin via RAS (setting up PPP dialup is no easy task), then to be able to
logon to their /home/user on the FreeBSD/Samba box. Be able to use shares
set on the FreeBSD/Samba boxes. Again I ask, other than using NT for
dialup (RAS) and seeing the problems I now face, what is the purpose of NT
in a Samba run domain?

It's quite apparent to me that I don't understand netlogon's, and could
really use some help by someone that understands what it is I am trying to
do. If it turns out that what I am doing is completely nuts, please let me
know. I have been at this since last Monday. Unable to upload from my NT
box to my FreeBSD/Samba boxes my directories that I crucially need so that
I can kill this NT box and put back Win98 and setup the smb.conf the way
it was. Working perfect.

It's that old story coming to haunt me. Why fix that which is not broken?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

Lanny Baron

http://ca.samba.org/samba/samba.html