Not able to join domain!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Jun 1 16:23:26 GMT 1999

manually add the samba server to the nt domain _first_ (SRVMGR.EXE).  the
command below is to complete the domain-joining on the samba side.

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Mathias Boettger wrote:

> Greg Dickie schrieb:
>
> > Are you sure there is no other detailed error message? Please include all of
> > the output from smbpasswd.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > On 01-Jun-99 Mathias Boettger wrote:
> > > I did everything explained in the documentation on the samba homepage
> > > "Joining an NT Domain with Samba 2.0".
> > > All options set in the smb.conf are correct (I think). Still there is
> > > the problem that the string "smbpasswd -j <domain> -r <pdc>" doesn't
> > > work. The error-message is "Unable to join domain". Why that? Also the
> > > Samba-Machine has been added to the PDC.
> > >
> > > Please help me!

> > Greg Dickie
> > Just A Guy*
> > *from discreet (the logic is gone)
> > Montreal
> > (514) 954-7171
> > greg at discreet.com
>
> OK.
>
> This is the error messege I get when I try to join the domain (or is it the
> PDC?):
>
> /smbpasswd -j <name of the samba-server> -r <name of the PDC>
>
> The following appears:
>
> load_client_codepage: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does
> not exist.
> cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
> cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
> modify_trust_password: unable to setup PDC credentials to machine <name of the
> PDC>. Error was: NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
> 1999/06/01 13:13:38 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password
> fpr domain <name of the samba-server>
> Unable to join domain <name of the samba-server>
>
> So what's the problem with the domain?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99