Then, anyone can tell me about "unable to join domain"??

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Jun 1 16:21:22 GMT 1999

ah.  PDCSERVER is _your_ name for the server (due to the lmhost entry).
however, the machine at 172.17.1.1 is probably an nt box not a samba box
and is probably not called PDCSERVER.

luke

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Justo Alonso Achaques wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Greg Dickie wrote:
>
>    Ok. The ouput of command: smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN -r PDCSERVER -D 10
>
> do_reseed: got 40 bytes from /dev/urandom.
> resolve_name: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name PDCSERVER<0x20>
> getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 127.0.0.1 localhost
> getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 172.17.5.207 SAMBA
> getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 172.17.1.1 PDCSERVER
> Connecting to 172.17.1.1 at port 139
> write_socket(4,76)
> write_socket(4,76) wrote 76
> Sent session request
> got smb length of 1
> size=1
> smb_com=0x0
> smb_rcls=0
> smb_reh=0
> smb_err=0
> smb_flg=0
> smb_flg2=0
> smb_tid=0
> smb_pid=0
> smb_uid=0
> smb_mid=0
> smt_wct=0
> smb_bcc=0
> modify_trust_password: machine PDCSERVER rejected the session setup. Error
> was : code 131.
> 1999/06/01 13:01:01 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password
>  for domain MYDOMAIN.
> Unable to join domain MYDOMAIN.

> > >     Well, my NT admin skills are least than yours, sure. I added the machine
> > > account in Server Manager,
> >
> > good
> >
> > >     I added a user account in User Manager for Domain with the name of my
> > > netbios
> > > name of the Samba
> > >    Server (in upper case, with and without  $ appended), and the password is
> > > the
> > > netbios name (in lower case).
> > >    This user account, have permission to add machines to the domain.
> >
> > oh yuck, get rid of that username, it should not be required. The server
> > manager should be fine.
> >

> > >    Nothing. The error are the same, ever:
> > >
> > >    # smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN -r PDCSERVER
> > >    modify_trust_password: machine PDCSERVER rejected the session setup. Error
> > > was
> > >: code 131.
> > >    1999/06/01 09:46:15 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> > > password
> > > for domain MYDOMAIN.
> > >    Unable to join domain MYDOMAIN.
> >

> > try doing smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN -r PDCSERVER -D 10
> >
> > and send that output
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > >    #
> > >
> > > Justo.

> > Greg Dickie
> > Just A Guy*
> > *from discreet (the logic is gone)
> > Montreal
> > (514) 954-7171
> > greg at discreet.com

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton        |  Direct Dial   : (678) 443-6183
Systems Engineer / ISS XForce Team  |  ISS Front Desk: (678) 443-6000
Internet Security Systems, Inc.     |  ISS Fax       : (678) 443-6477

http://www.iss.net/    *Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise*
     ISS Connect   -   International User Conference   -  May '99